Friday, May 05, 2006

Finally a Linux Desktop that Works for Me !!!

Well.. Ubuntu is a desktop I liked at the first go, Redhat has always been my favourite for my servers, and Mandrake (now Mandriva) aaah....such good looks.. well then came along Suse.

So.. What happened, how I chose, what I chose.. and where am I with it.

I have an IBM R51, and I use this Laptop as my primary work / home PC, and I dont' want to get an operating system, that I have for the heck of it. I work with Networks as all of us know here, so getting network tools that work was imperitive, testing and deploying applications and testing websites on Linux also important..

R51 has a built in Intel Wireless card, and an Intel Gigabit Ethernet card. On Windows with proper management, my laptop could deliver as high as about 3.5 hours depending on the usage, and I wanted a Unix that can deliver same performance. Since I travel quite a bit, wireless connectivity is very important, WPA is an important aspect, but my reading shows that WPA support is still dicey, and I will need to stick to either a Wire and or get my customers to change to WEP (ah all that lecturing about how secure WPA is !!! )

Anyway, Here is what I saw and here is what I have

Why Linux ?

Well I think it is more stable, not prone to viruses and trojan horses, also low on spyware, make s it my first operating system. I will need Windows, so either I will now start carrying two lapotps or work on Virtualisation

1st Shot: Fedora Core 4, Yes I know FC5 is here, but I Tried FC4. Well ever since I deployed my first FC4 server, I have loved the OS, the stability, the performance everything, and best of all zero cost.. Problem, No wireless support out of the box, sound card had some issues, and Dispaly was not recognised automatically. Eventual Verdict: Good for server, not for my desktop

2nd Shot: Ubuntu (Both The Hoary Hedgehog and The Breezy Badger): well I fell in love with this the day I saw it, I have been following it closely and have worked on number of Ubuntu deployments on desktops within the company and think this is a fine operating system. My wireless worked right out of the box, and the sound card too.. best in breed hardware recognition, but I had problems with VMWare, and some other software that I wanted to use.. so eventually had to drop it

3rd Shot: Suse 10 OSS - AM confused, I want to move to Linux as a Desktop.. what to do, what to choose. In the older days was a company called Suse, which in turn became Netware (Did I tell you I am a Certified Novell Administrator, I did not do my CNE as I had a BTECH and someone good at Novell suggested I should just do my CNA).. anyway.. now Suse a Part of Novell seemed attractive.. I did not read the site properly and downloaded the OSS.. Landed myself in a soup, no out of the box support for wireless (not a difficult thing though to get working), But I could not get the Java working, the Acrobat or the Mozilla to upgrade, and I got really irrirated.. should I leave it...alone... hmm.. go back to windows.. well not so easily..

20th April 2006....I finally downloaded the 5 disks for suse 10 commercial version, yes I dont' pay till I dont' want support, and the OS is free.. install it, and run it.. and lo.. I have a working desktop, everything (except WPA works).. and am happy.. I now miss a few things off my windows desktop, which VM Ware can help me run Windows in a Window (ah.. )... download vmware, apply for a temp key and got it..

.......5th May 2006.. it's been 15 odd days that I am on Suse 10 Commercial, and I think this is one of the finest Operating Systems I have worked on.. beautiful. I have the 15 days of my VMWARE key wasted, and I have had no requirement of Windows. Sometimes I need a windows Pc, I just vnc to one of the servers, or use a different desktop in the office.. but for now.. I am on Linux.. next step, move my core team to Linux.. tough task ahead, but hey.. it's easy

Virtualisation, Thin clients, Linux Desktops.. all to cash in on our old investments.. Let's see where we are.. So my advice

You are a geek / and love to try out things.. move to linux.. choose ubuntu or suse.. and you will love it.. you are a data entry guy, managing a worksheet or an Internet form.. your company can save a lot of money.. but if you are an enterprise user.. well you need to really look at the benefit of Windows v/s the benefit of Linux.. which is beyond the scope of this blog..

I am a penguin now.. and happy about it.. :)

G

0 comments:

Creative Commons License
Writings by Gagandeep Singh Sapra by Gagandeep Singh Sapra is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 India License.
Based on a work at www.thebiggeek.com | www.gagandeepsapra.com | www.g-spot.in.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at www.thebiggeek.com.