Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Off Tech - Mangal Pandey - A Great Movie of our Times

Off a blog i stumbled on

"I saw "Mangal Pandey" yesterday in the evening. I came to realize that there is nothing stronger than religious feeling. Not even patriotism or the "India" feeling. I think if the cartridge wasn't greased with animal fat, he wouldn't question his superiors. He would have kept serving the British Empire if this issue hadn't come up. He questioned the British when his religious feelings were hurt, not because his fellow countrymen became slaves of the empire."

Well I think to a certain level what this gentleman says is right, but to a certain level no. The movie showed what happened, every individual has their feelings. Mangal, the guy in the movie has a clear goal on what the "Company" is all about. He questions his friend, he questions people, but yes, Religion played a larger role. I believe what was important was the collective thought, the opperesion was there, religion triggered it.

Battles fought over religion are never won, they are always lost. Oppression, now that is what one needs to fight about. I believe, today we are again going to the old times fighting over religion, we are not oppressed people, but jealous people, it's have's and have nots. I think one needs to clearly define..

My dear friend from an unknown blog I stumbled on. I like your thought, but I feel that it was quite contrary.

After we finished the movie (Well during the movie only) I heard a lot of people say, why glorify Mangal Pandey, after all who was he. I think Ketan Mehta has done a great job in showing that a collective group, can pull off anything. Whether that is a fight against oppression, or to stand up against it. They did it, he did it.. whether it was true or fiction.. the portrayal and the lesson learnt is larger.

A great movie. If you have not seen it, you are missing something large. Go down.. and enjoy.

G

0 comments:

Creative Commons License
Writings by Gagandeep Singh Sapra by Gagandeep Singh Sapra is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 India License.
Based on a work at www.thebiggeek.com | www.gagandeepsapra.com | www.g-spot.in.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at www.thebiggeek.com.