Saturday, July 30, 2005

The ALT Key

A few days back.. i managed to screw up and loose out on my Lattitude V740 from Dell. Merely 2 years old, my Display died on me, I was told. i had lived it's 20,000 hours of activity.. well in less than 2 years or so. yes. i have a bad habbit.. i never switch off my machines..

The dell was my second laptop.. after the sad demise of my Compaq Presario Laptop, 1200 series.. it came with a 12.1" display.. well that was the largest i could afford at that time.. and now.. i hear 12.1" are premium.. anyway.. and now. .am at an R51 IBM Thinkpad..

Anyway, the Big Blue has become a Red Blob. The day I opened the package from IBM, on the 4th of July, yes, the right hand ALT key of my keyboard came out. Well I am a far heavier user than Lenovo thought it designed the machines for... it's impossible.. too tough.. work harder.. to work without the alt key.. especially if you are not a touch typist..

It's firday evening. when i got back into Delhi, after another of my long trips and dont' know what to do with this. I have had other friends hwo have reported similar incidents of loosing keys on their newly made Lenovo / IBM thinkpads.. I have been told that I wont' get a replacement keyboard (god knows how much i will need to pay for it.. but anyway).. unltill when I have time to visit IBM.. and i will need to stand in the queue at the ibm office.. sad service levels.. when you compare it to dell at your home service.. but then.. hey.. i had to give the big blue a chance.. after all my big bro.. the cisco chaps.. carry ibms.. why not me..

G

0 comments:

Creative Commons License
Writings by Gagandeep Singh Sapra by Gagandeep Singh Sapra is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 India License.
Based on a work at www.thebiggeek.com | www.gagandeepsapra.com | www.g-spot.in.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at www.thebiggeek.com.