Wednesday, March 11, 2009

My New Tech Toy: Casio FX 82ES Scientific Calculator



I suffer from what may be called Stationery Fetish. I can't resist walking in and buying something from a a Stationery store if I ever cross one. Staples opening in India was something that I always looked forward to, I agree that there maybe stores that have a better variety (Considering Staples is just about starting up here, and since lost on it's direction), but hey, the variety of staplers, pins, pens, and accessories can drive you crazy to spend money.

Another friend of mine, who is in the Textile and Garment Business, who claims to suffer from the same Disease of sorts, has banned himself to go near staples or any other stationery shop, though his collection of pens is enviable, and the post it's he has wow.

Anyway, back to my tech toy. Ever since I went to Engineering School (to do my electronics and datacom), I got hanged on to a scientific calculator. My days of yore involved using a slide rule, but where can you buy one today ?

Casio has made wonderful calculators all through my life of using them from 1990 till now (18 odd years). My biggest problem with standard desk calculators is, they can't do parentheses, and they just can't handle fractions / exponential figures the way I would want to see my result. Though my brother and I can endlessly argue about the reason I would need this format of numbers in business today, but as they say, it's just a comfort zone, and you tend to stay in one.

Anyway, Casio's latest FX82ES available in India now for a list price of Rs. 475, handles a few things marvelously well

1. It has mathematical formula input
2. Handles Fractions as Fractions, results are also in Fractions and in case you want decimal numbers, click of a button can get you these
3. Full editor functionality of editing your formula and or going back in history / replaying the calculation
4. 7 Memories
5. A Large Screen 31 dots x 96 dots (WOW)

For those of you who would want to check out functionality before buying it, you can download the user manuals by clicking here. To know more about the Calculator, visit Casio's website on FX82ES

0 comments:

Creative Commons License
Writings by Gagandeep Singh Sapra by Gagandeep Singh Sapra is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 India License.
Based on a work at www.thebiggeek.com | www.gagandeepsapra.com | www.g-spot.in.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at www.thebiggeek.com.